Friday, December 2, 2011

Thoughts before I run my first marathon

On Sunday I am running my first marathon. I feel fit, have faith in the training plan I followed, and am ready for the marathon. I have been through a vast array of emotions in the last few weeks as the marathon draws closer. I am excited and nervous, and mostly just ready for race day to come. I love training in San Francisco. Even though I have lived here since May, I am still in awe about the beauty of this city. I am thankful for great running weather, and wonderful running friends. I LOVE running in Golden Gate Park. I feel a sense of peace as I run through the park. Even in the short time I have lived here, I’ve had many wonderful runs in the park and I hope to have many more. I always look forward to meeting others for a run. Good conversation and a good run are the perfect way to start any day. In the last few weeks, friends have given me some advice. My favorite tips are listed below. I hope these tips help some of the other runners out there.

• Anticipate chaos (Thanks, Brooke)

• Remember the race can only be won in the second half....and the second half begins at mile 20....the race can, however, be lost in the first half! (Thanks, Clive)

• Gu early, Gu often (Thanks again, Clive)

• Enjoy it all (including the week leading up to the marathon) and have fun (Thanks, Dad)

• Say this to yourself during the race: I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure (Thanks, Anne)

I’m so thankful for my friends and my sweet husband who have been so encouraging along the way. Hopefully I’ll have some of my own tips to add post marathon.

Happy Running to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment