Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Recovering from Disappointment and Dreaming Big

When runners have a bad race, they can let it get them off track or the bad race can propel them forward. I’m hoping to do the latter of the two. I ran in my first Olympic Trials Marathon this past Saturday. I went into the race with high hopes. I was fit and feeling good. My coach had developed a great plan to help me maintain my fitness level and recover in the 6 weeks between CIM (my qualifying marathon) and the Olympic Trials Marathon. I did my best to bond with the elliptical in between the two marathons and was thankful when my training schedule listed more running.

Then on race day at about mile 10, my worse nightmare in the marathon happened-- my digestive system shut down and I was unable to digest fluids or GU. Soon cramping followed, and slowly my body shut down. Before I knew it I was way off pace. Each mile I fell even further off pace. My hamstrings tightened first, then other muscles followed. My dreams of running well in the Olympic Trials went down the drain before the halfway point. I finished the race about 16 minutes behind my goal time. I am not going to sugarcoat this experience and say it was exciting or fun simply because it was the Olympic Trials. I am honored and humbled that I was able to run with such talented women but there is nothing fun about suffering through a race with a stomach that won’t digest anything. Fighting through the end of a race because I worked hard and my legs are tired is exhilarating, but fighting through digestive issues and cramping is just painful.

Now that the race ended and I am back home in San Francisco, I am working on recovering and trying not to go stir crazy while I do. After races that do not go according to plan, I have realized the importance of recovering both physically and mentally while also looking toward the future. I felt a sense of failure as I crossed the finish line and I felt like I let so many people down. I am hoping the disappointment adds a fuel to the fire to help me push further in my training. I texted a teammate for advice the day after the race. She acknowledged that it is hard when races go poorly, and reminded me to recover and look toward the future. Recovering from races such as this is hard, but is necessary if I want to succeed in the future.

As I look toward the future, I am reminded that I need to come up with measurable goals. The night after the race I sat down and listed all the times I want to run in every distance from the marathon down to the mile for the next four years. I am dreaming big about the future and have high hopes of running well in track season and another marathon later down the road. I am thankful to have an encouraging support network each step of the way.

Lastly, I am reminded to dream big. A few years back I wanted to run a sub three-hour marathon once in my life. Now, my dreams are much bigger. Being surrounded by so many talented runners in the bay area has helped me dream big. Furthermore, many people in the SF bay area are making sacrifices to go after dreams such as starting a company or running fast. To run my goal times, much work and sacrifice will be required, but I am ready for the hard work, and excited to look ahead. I’m keeping my head up and forging forward. One race at a time, I will move forward toward those goal times on my spreadsheet. Cheers to running well in 2012.

4 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    I am sorry for your disappointment and such a painful day on the course, but you let nobody down. We are so proud of you and we would have cheered just as loudly if you had run the race of your life.
    Rest up and congratulations on competing in the Olympic trials. That in itself is pretty darn awesome.
    Best wishes from Kim, Jason and the BCRC crew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I love this blog because I can see that you are even more emboldened to forge ahead! One thing that I have always said and admired about you is that you have the heart of a lion and nothing is too big or too unreachable for you to conquer. Remember the promise that "they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary, and they shall walk, and not faint." I do believe that God made you fast for a reason and you will have renewed strength to go along with your big dreams to mount up with wings as eagles.
    Your friend always,
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kim and Jason, and the BCRC crew. Appreciate all the support so much.

    ...and thanks Arlene for the encouraging words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I love how you are taking this experience to push you forward to even bigger dreams. What an experience Houston must have been for you! Despite your race performance, it sounds like a great start to 2012. Looking forwad to some amazing things on the track and in the future.

    ReplyDelete