Thursday, February 24, 2011

This season of life

I’m not really sure if anyone reads my blog, but I like to write so I’ll keep writing either way. For those of you who know me, I’m extremely extroverted. On the Myers Briggs I’m a strong “E”. Talking has always been a hobby of mine. I genuinely love to be around people and have people over for dinners and parties. In many stages of my life, I’d had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with people. I’ve enjoyed those stages.

Now I’m in a stage where I spend a great deal of the day alone. I am taking two distance learning theology classes and doing some other work from home. My work is not people oriented. The transition to adjust to this temporary season of life has been difficult at times, and a growing experience at other times. So many days I miss the human interaction of life and am so thankful when I do get to spend quality time with people.

This season of life is temporary. My classes will be over soon and I’ll find a counseling internship. However, I do not want to pass this season without taking time to reflect on it. One of the main things I have learned is that we do not always get to have life the way we want it, and when it’s not the way we’d pick, we need to adapt. As I have adapted I learned to talk to God more throughout the day. Some days the length of the days would get to me and my attempts to chat with God would just leave me more restless.

Then I heard about centering prayer. I’m so thankful to learn about this type of prayer. Basically for this time of prayer you just repeat a few words over and over that reminds you of God or are from scripture (ex: abba father). Then you sit with your eyes closed and say those words. Before you finish, you take a few deep breaths. I’m sure I am way over simplifying this method of prayer, but the main thing I learned from it is just to sit with God and enjoy that intimacy in a simple way. This type of prayer is not suppose to replace other types of prayer. It’s just an additional type. Through it, I’ve learned to relax and just enjoy the intimacy with God without letting my mind wander in many directions.

I’m just in the middle of this season, and yet, I can already see that this season has been one of smiles, tears, and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment