Friday, March 11, 2011

race report

Running has always been an important part of my life, and lately I've started training harder again. For a few years I got in a running slump where I just ran for fun and did not train hard. I missed the competitive aspect of running through, and want to make another strong push at running fast.

When I run fast, I feel so alive, and when I have my easy days running through the forest, I have some great conversations with God. I also enjoy running with others, I LOVE the social aspect of running. For those of you who know me best, you probably know that running is an important aspect of my life. With that said I ran a 5K a few weeks ago. My race report is below. I'll probably be blogging about running more in the future. I LOVE TO RUN!

Race Report for the KD Shamrock 5K (or rather 3.17 mile run)

I signed up for this race to test my fitness level. Going in I knew that my fitness level was not where it used to be, but I wanted to see where I actually stood. I was quite nervous going into this race. I could feel my stomach turning as I drove the short distance from Durham to Chapel Hill. I had not run a race since last April, and wondered if I would remember how to pace myself for a 5K. I arrived at the race early so that I could secure a prime parking spot. The race started at the Kappa Delta house at UNC. Around 7:40a the KD's liven up the environment by blaring festive music such as Black Eyed Pea Songs.

At about 8a, I started my warm up, and tried to just relax as I listening to my running mix on my ipod. I warmed up away from the race action to try to stay calm and focused. I stretched for awhile because I could not seem to get my right leg to loosen up as I warmed up. About 8:40a I started to notice they still had not drawn the starting line. Finally at 8:55a, they drew the starting line and I realized the race was not going to start at 9a as planned. The start was odd. Everyone was standing behind the starting line for awhile and eventually they shot the gun. No warning that I heard or announcement from a race director. I am not sure what time the race actually started.

I felt good as I started running. I bought new shoes this week and they made me feel fast. The course had plenty of spirited sorority girls directing runners through the course. They kept the course fairly clear, although in the last half mile they did not stop people walking across campus and I almost had a collision with an unassuming UNC student who looked like she was trying to go study. The last part of the course was a little windy which made it hard to kick, although I did try to give a final push in last small stretch. I came across the first mile in 5:50, the two mile mark at 11:48, and finished at 18:56. I know the race was longer than a 5K, it was listed at 3.175 on the course map but I was skeptical of that measurement. I was disappointed with my finish time, but now I have a renewed vigor to train hard. However, I can say I got used to being in a race environment again and got a good workout.

The food at the end of the race was okay. They had bagels w/ cream cheese, nutri grain bars, pop tarts, and brownies. The nice girl handing out the brownies explained that they were for carb reloading. The KD's may not have run the race perfectly, but they get an A+ for hospitality. They personally (and cheerfully) handed out bagels, brownies, and water while runners waited in the food line. They also had child care and let the kids build a fort. I do not have children, but one of my friends put her child in the childcare and she said it was great.

I was the first overall female and the prize bag was pretty good. This improved my mood after not running a great time. My prize bag included $10 to Jason's Deli, A free meal at Panera, Sunday brunch for two at Carolina Crossroads (in the Carolina Inn), $30 to Back Alley Bikes, and $60 to place called WOW. I'm still trying to figure out what the last one is. In addition to the gift cards, the bag included a headband and a very large pair of gold loops, neither are my style but I'm sure I can find a friend who will use the items.

Thanks for reading my race report. :) Happy running to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment