Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Run for the Oaks 5K

This weekend I ran the Run for the Oaks 5K in Raleigh. I'll try to remember as much as possible for this report, but now that it is Wednesday night, last Saturday seems like a long time ago.

The weather was great on Saturday. The temperature was in the 40's at race time, although it quickly warmed up after. The race was in downtown Raleigh. The course started in Moore Square, and mainly seemed to go out and loop back around to end at the same place we started.

My legs felt heavy from the beginning after a long week of running, but as the gun went off I got a burst of energy. I ran the first mile in the mid 5:40's...If I remember correctly the split was 5:44. After mile one I felt great and had a spirt of energy. I hit the second mile in the 11:40's. I think it was about 11:45. However, after I hit the two mile mark, and had 1.1 miles to go, I started to feel fatigued. Also, another woman had just caught up to me and passed me at this point. When she first passed me, I thought, oh well she beat me, she looks strong, and I'm feeling beat. However, then my ubber competitive nature kicked in and I picked it up. We went back and forth for awhile, and then with about 800 meters or less to go, I sprinted it in. I've never really had a kick, but on Saturday, I actually surprised myself and had a kick. My finishing chip time was 18:20.

As a prize I won a $50 gift card to a running store in Raleigh, which was great because I needed a new water bottle for my Sunday run. Overall the race was well run and enjoyable. I'd recommend it.

Here is a link to the results. http://bit.ly/h9kH4J

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on pulling things back together with a kick at the end. It sounds like it would have been very exciting to watch!

    I checked the results and you were racing Kimberlie Fowler. She is a fine runner and focuses mainly on marathons, so she's probably not much of a kicker either. She's a lovely person, so I hope you got a chance to chat with her after the race.

    See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I talked to Kimberlie for a long time after the race. She is super nice--very friendly. I wished I gotten her email so I could see if wanted to run at some point, but thought about it after the fact.

    ReplyDelete